Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Project Headboard

So for all of those who know me, I am a very crafty person and come from a family of very crafty people. Putting together our house has been a slow process and will continue to be a slow process. Kevin and I have focused on key pieces of furniture and certain rooms that we spend more time in than others. One of our guest bedrooms needs some work and now we are going to focus just a little bit on that room.

The old room...


The feel I am going for in this room is happy country chic. The big project in this room is to find a headboard for the bed. I'm not sure if it was my sister, mom, or both, but someone had sugguested that we turn an old door into a headboard. This seemed like a reletivly inexpensive project that would make the room look much better.

So the quest was on to find a door. Just so happens that there is a barn in Miles filled with lots of old doors. We hit the jackpot! A free door that is aged. We brought the door back to San Antonio and after several months of just sitting in the garage we finally scrubbed it down.

Old door all cleaned...




I'm sure this door has a very interesting story and has seen a lot. I have come to find out that the door was on Kevin's great great grandparent's house. The door is wooden and by the looks of it, it has been painted red, green, and white. The paint is chipped and all the colors are coming through. I knew when I started this project, I wanted a white door and I thought I would rub the door with another paint color, but now I wasn't sure if I wanted to do this. After much thought, I decided to leave the door alone and to just seal it. Eventually when we have a house of our own and paint the walls then I might want to paint the door too, but for now it will stay how it is.


The fun tricky part of this project was hanging the door. Kevin had a master plan and I let him take full lead on this part of the project.



Now, the finished project! Welcome to our new guest bedroom!


No comments:

Post a Comment